Pictured above viewing the Audio-Visual Department’s new opaque projector are the various officers of this newly formed club. They are, left to right: Carroll Spanyer, Al Carr, Paul Miller, John Wernert, Willis Ewing, and Paul Birkel.
Bellarmine’s new Audio-Visual Department is working steadily toward the realization of a number of projects which will be of aid to both faculty and students. The department is being run by a student committee under the direction of Father Treece and Miss Betty Delius; it is subdivided into photography, music, motion picture, and art sections. Carroll Spanyer is president and Willis Ewing, secretary of the committee.
The music section is under the direction of Carroll Spanyer, who plans to collect a recorded music library. A radio-phonograph combination has been purchased, and German and French Lingua-phone sets will be obtained in the near future. The music library started its career with the donation by Father Treece of his large record collection.
Plans for the motion picture section include renting films and borrowing them from the public library for various occasions. The school already has a sound projector, which will be used to show the films. Alfred Carr is in charge of this section.
In charge of the art section are Paul Birkel and John Wernert. They plan to build up a collection of reproductions and slides of great paintings, sculptures, and other art works.
Paul Miller, head of the photography section, plans to build up an archives file for the school.
Since its organization the department has been using for funds a generous donation given by the Louisville Chapter of the International Federation of Catholic Alumnae.
This story originally appeared in the June 7, 1951, issue of The Concord.